A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is a small document that has the capacity of bringing significant changes in your life. If written properly, it can help you get into the company of your choice. On the contrary, a half-hearted attempt at writing an SOP can break your longstanding dreams. When applying for an internship, you are most probably a newcomer and have minimal work experience. In such a case, there are only a handful of things at your disposal to convince the employer to hire you. Proofreading your CV to perfection and sharpening your intellect and knowledge base are examples of the same. However, the impact a good SOP can leave on the employer’s minds is unlike any other document.
Things to keep in mind before crafting an SOP for Internship
It is always good to be well-prepared before starting a task as vital as writing an SOP. Following are some notable points you must keep in mind before writing your SOP for Internship:
- Know about the company: A good amount of information about the company you are applying to helps complement the hand-eye coordination in writing. Research about the past and the present of the firm and then analyze its future course. Now, use this information to present why you are a perfect fit for the company and how you can help them achieve desired goals in the long run.
- Don’t over boast your accomplishments: It often happens that aspirants are so desperate to get into a company that they overemphasize their accomplishments to gain attention. This might sometimes work, but more often than not, it would lead to problems during the interview stage. Imagine you boasted of being involved in a lot of social work when the reality was something else. Just keep it simple and genuine. Companies prefer candidates who are honest and diligent.
- Use impactful sentences: An SOP is a personal statement directed to a professional organization. The word count of an SOP lies anywhere between 500-1000 words, which can be considered short and long both, depending on the person writing it. If you feel it is short, you must choose words wisely to frame emotionally powerful sentences. On the other hand, if you consider the words enough, be cautious of not becoming complacent and just blabbering throughout the SOP. It would help if you utilized a bigger word count towards communicating important professional and personal information. The SOP should mostly contain words and phrases that look natural but have a long-lasting impact.
- Don’t stretch a paragraph too much: Loads of information in one section would make the entire SOP look bulky and attract a lack of interest from the reader, which would lead to a negative first impression. Make sure to maintain a consistent length of paragraphs across the SOP. Use paragraph breaks wherever necessary.
How to Structure your SOP for Internship?
The right structure is vital to maintain a good flow in your SOP.
- Introduction: Start with a positive quote or an inspirational incident of your life that gave a head start to your career goals. Afterward, you can provide a brief overview of your journey leading to the application for the internship. In the opening paragraph, don’t forget to mention one point about the company which makes it different from others.
- Academic and Professional experience: This would be the 2nd paragraph of your SOP, where you can mention your detailed academic antecedents to inform the reader about your proficiency in studies. Since you are applying for an internship, there would probably be very little or no professional experience backing with you, making this section the basis for the acceptance or rejection of your application. Therefore, be careful of what you write and how you present the information. Try taking the storytelling approach, which helps in maintaining continuity.
- Career goals: An SOP, as a whole, is about your goals and dreams in life. It is a statement of “purpose”; therefore, you need to explain succinctly what long-term purpose do you have and how the internship would help you achieve that. Questions like how you would use your experience to contribute to society and what are your long-term goals, among others, should be answered.
- Social Work (if any): You may have been involved with an NGO or any social-help organization or may have individually done something for the oppressed people of society. In this paragraph that precedes the conclusion, you need to highlight such points. These things supplement your application and can give you an edge over others.
- Conclusion: You have done everything right by now, and to finish on a high note, the concluding paragraph should be well-crafted. Do not, even by mistake, add new information here. You have to give a short but unique view of what has already been provided in the rest of the SOP. Also, talk briefly about the company and how you are a perfect fit for the same, given your academic qualifications and experience.
Why choose Kalam Kagaz for your SOP for Internship?
Though there are several SOP writing services on the internet, there is always something that separates the best from the rest.
Professional and Specialized Writers: At Kalam Kagaz, there is no place for mediocrity. We only entertain professional writers who can add value to work using their specialized area of study. For an engineering student, we have a writer with an engineering background; similarly, we have specialized writers from all the subjects and streams.
Punctual Delivery: We have tried a lot but haven’t yet missed a deadline. Our resolve to be punctual is well known in the industry. You give a deadline, and we will deliver by then with no ‘ifs’ and ‘buts.’ Moreover, Kalam Kagaz is always open to provide corrections and updates if you are not satisfied with something in the SOP.
Affordable Prices: Our prices are better than everyone out there. Best quality SOPs at the least cost is what makes Kalam Kagaz a client favorite.