One of the several exciting points in the life of an academic research enthusiast is a Ph.D. degree but getting into a prestigious university to achieve the same is not an easy task. There is a long list of documents that candidates are asked to submit so that the university or institution is satisfied with their credentials. From a sample research paper and resume to a letter of motivation and statement of purpose, you need to ace all of them. Undoubtedly, all the documents play a significant role, but a Statement of Purpose (SOP) can do wonders to your prospects of making it by providing an edge over others. Your SOP should be unambiguous, crisp, engaging, and informative. Here are some of the vital things one must remember while writing an SOP for a Ph.D.
Be aware of these things before writing your SOP for PhD
- Create an Outline: Before you get on to the keyboard to begin writing, creating an outline for your SOP is a task too important to miss. With a calm mind, write down what the document must have to convey your personality, academic prowess, journey, etc. Also, keep hold of some attractive features of the institution you feel should be mentioned in the SOP.
- Check guidelines carefully: Mostly, every Ph.D. department has its own set of guidelines for SOP. Therefore, it is crucial to have an in-depth look at them before you begin. A common mistake students commit is they go with their own intuitions and put irrelevant information in the SOP.
- Keep your research information handy: Since the SOP is for Ph.D. and not for a UG or MS program, you must have some prior research experience. Collect the pieces together in one place before penning the SOP down. It will help in presenting your academic prowess concisely.
The questions you need to answer through your SOP for PhD
How did you come this far?
This question essentially demands your academic journey linked with some of the major ups and downs of your life. You can start with high school and smoothly carry it from there to UG or PG, whatever your latest milestone was, to provide a brief overview of how your decision to pursue a Ph.D. got shaped.
What makes you stand out from others?
Every individual has a high academic point or personal experience that makes them stand apart from the crowd. Do some brainstorming and present the most exquisite thing about yourself, which you think would help seal the deal. It can be some social work you did that was related to the subject of your Ph.D. or maybe the knowledge of a foreign language, which can add an extra star to your application.
What is your research history?
Your SOP should not be void of the research capabilities you own; after all, it is a Ph.D. program you are applying for. You should let the admission committee know about the kind of work you have been involved in or published any independent research paper.
Why this particular university?
There must be several universities around the globe offering the degree you seek, but you decided, based on several factors, of choosing a particular university. In the SOP, you have to list the factors that led to your decision while presenting the specific institution positively.
The format to be followed in an SOP for Ph.D.:
- Introduction: With a gripping introduction, you can leave a positive impression on the reader. Try to use a personal experience to link with the program and develop an intriguing first paragraph based on it. End it with a line or two about your academic history and how it led you to go for a Ph.D.
- Academic qualifications: In the second paragraph, you can put in your educational history in a detailed manner so that the admission personnel does not have to look elsewhere for it. Choose a healthy language to go with this sort of information so that the reader doesn’t become ignorant of the facts you have written.
- Research experience: Since it is an SOP for Ph.D., the paragraph containing your research experience forms the crux of the document. Here, you have to convey the details of your thesis work, research paper, or any other similar projects you have been a part of.
- Achievements and Goals: Your academic achievements and future plans would come under this paragraph. An SOP is all about goals and dreams that you wish to fulfill once your application is accepted.
- Social Work, if any: You may have been a prolific social worker along with being a studious student. Describe in detail your association with any NGOs and the projects you have completed with them. It can also contain details about any social initiative taken by you during your graduation days.
- Conclusion: The end has to be good and without any new information. Sumptuously summarize what you have written in the SOP using new and more impactful words. Express your gratitude towards the admission committee for giving you the chance to revisit your academic journey in the form of an SOP. In the last line, you can mention the eagerness with which you await a response from their end.
Why choose Kalam Kagaz for your SoP for Ph.D.?
Professional Writers: An excellent group of professional and specialized writers at Kalam Kagaz, India’s leading content writing company, has the most potent skills required to draft your SOP for Ph.D.
Affordable Prices: Our prices are more affordable and acceptable than you think. When you choose us, you choose the better quality at the best price.
Corrections till satisfaction: It can be possible that you want to tweak a few sentences or phrases in the SOP. With Kalam Kagaz at the helm, expect as many corrections as you wish, for we are the most customer-friendly company out there.
No delays: Once a deadline is set between the client and us, there’s no way that we would miss it. Punctuality is amongst the mottos of our company.