You must have heard about writing a statement of purpose for applying to a university, but do you ever wonder how you can write it uniquely to stand out your chances of selection? Writing a unique SOP is essential as it helps your application stand out from the pool of applications with the admission committee to study abroad. So, how can you write a very unique statement of purpose.
Let’s take a detailed look to this – in this blog here below;
A lot of students like you, who are applying for higher studies abroad, come across to writing an SOP for the selection process. It is one of the most important statements in your application that highlight your educational background. I know the pressure of writing an exceptional SOP is very robust. You are required to take care of a lot of things while writing. Only then, your application is going to outshine. In that statement of purpose, you need to highlight why you are going to be a right fit for that university. That statement must depict your zeal, enthusiasm, and capability. It will portray your overall personality to the university council. Your statement of purpose will decide whether you are going to get the Letter of Acceptance from the university or not. So, make sure to read this blog till the end because I am going to share tips and tricks to write a unique statement of purpose.
What is a Statement of Purpose?
A statement of purpose is an important statement that is a part of the application process for a graduate university abroad, where the student talks about his personal, academic, and professional background to get admission.
In simple words, this statement states who you are, who you want to be, and why you deserve to get admission into the university. This statement gives a chance to the admission committee to understand you better and how you will add value to the university.
If you’re willing to join the university of your choice, make sure to write a unique and effective SOP.
Why do universities require the Statement of Purpose?
The SOP assists schools and universities in determining whether applicants are enthusiastic about the program for which they have applied, their capacity to pursue and complete the program effectively, and their potential contribution significantly to the Institute.
A strong SOP helps applicants highlight their talents during the admissions process overseas, just as much as a great cover letter or job vacancy letter helps candidates promote themselves effectively in the job market. In addition, a strong SOP will catch the attention of admissions officers sifting through dozens of applicants.
Graduate school is an essential component of your higher education. You should set a goal and know how you plan to achieve it. You should also understand why you want to achieve it. Universities take your SOP extremely seriously and read it. As a result, this is something you should be aware of.
The SOP is one of the most, critical aspects of your application, if not the entire admissions process. The SOP presents the most significant impression of you to the admissions officers.
What is the purpose of SOP?
There must be some reason as to why the universities asked you to write a statement of purpose. If you will know the purpose of an SOP, I bet you will write it much better.
The purpose of SOP is pretty clear at the end of universities, they want to know you personally, they want to know why you want to do it. They want to judge you based on your professional interests.
SOP are essential as they highlight;
- Understanding of Professional Interests– It is one of the most important things that the university wants to see in your statement of purpose.
- How you are qualified for admission– The next thing they would find out from your SOP is how you are qualified for the course you want to join. The SOP will be evidence of your qualification for the program you are applying.
- To know the track record of your success– When you will write about your professional background, you will be sharing your success and failures too. This particular thing will give the admission committee an idea of your accomplishments.
- Your passion for the program– The way you will write your statement of purpose will show how willingly you want to pursue the particular program. The admission committee will evaluate your devotion to the program.
- Your writing skills– The university admission council will be able to analyze your writing skills through the statement of purpose.
As you could see how significant an SOP is and why the statement of purpose is the main thing in an admission process to study abroad. Let’s dig deeper into it a little more.
Why statement of purpose is Important?
By this point, you may have got a little idea about how important a statement of purpose is for you if you are applying for higher studies abroad.
It is till date the most important document in an admission process. Admission councilors consider it paramount, that let them peek into your background.
When you apply for a program in a university abroad, you are not physically there, you are just coordinating through emails or phone calls. So, how the admission committee will know you personally? I guess you might not wonder about it. Let me tell you, how? It will be possible through your statement of purpose only. This is your chance to portray yourself as you are standing in front of them.
It also works best to override some of your weaknesses. It convinces the admission committee to offer the Letter of Acceptance. SOP works as a decision-maker of your application. It is like an opportunity given to you to pitch your aims, goals, and purpose to the committee.
An SOP depicts your mindset and aspirations for the program you are applying. Fundamental reasoning of why you are choosing a particular course and what you want to achieve through that is what makes it important.
What should be included in a statement of purpose?
Now, it is time to know what things you should add to your statement of purpose. Consider it important because it will help you to draft the best SOP and increase your chance to get a Letter of Acceptance.
Here are the few elements that should be included in a statement of purpose;
- Personal Background– The primary thing to include in your background. Personal background may include your name, your goals/aspirations, personal interests, your hobbies, schooling, family background, etc. Make sure to write it brief and to the point.
- Financial Background– Second thing which must be also mentioned is your financial background to give them an idea of how you will manage to pay your fees. You can write about your family’s monthly or annual income.
- Academic Background– To include this point, you must write about your academic qualifications, when did you complete your school, and what is your highest qualification right now.
- Professional experience– If you have worked somewhere, full-time or part-time, then you should mention it. Here you can also write about any voluntary act you have been part of or done in your school/colleges.
- Goals– Never forget to mention your immediate or long-term goals. Talking about goals leaves an impression of how serious you are about your career and life.
- Reason for choosing them– Every university would like to know why you are choosing them. They always want to know why you wish to pursue your career there. Why they are your number one choice. Why do you want to be part of their university?
- Reasons for choosing the program– This is the most important thing to include in your statement of purpose. The admission council will like to know why you are choosing a particular program. So, state your reasons carefully and dominantly.
- Published work- This is an additional perk, if you have any published work in any field but preferably in your chosen field. Then it would be great for your statement of purpose. It will show you more efficiency for the program.
- After plans– The committee would also like to know your after plans once you will complete the program. By this, they will be able to judge your earnestness.
- Special Skills and Talents– This is your chance to show what you have got. So, if you have any special skills and talents that may increase your chance to outshine other applicants, then do mention them.
Your contribution – Make sure you don’t forget to highlight how you shall make a contribution to the institute you are applying to study abroad. It shall definitely demonstrate your uniqueness to the admission committee through your SOP.
How you can write a good statement of purpose?
Writing a good statement of purpose is a real task that you have to conquer. It can become a little hectic but when you have a clear idea of how you wanted it to be. Then, it will become less chaotic.
For writing a good statement of purpose, you first need to understand that you don’t have to boast about yourself. You have to be more cordial with your words.
Following are some steps that you can follow to write a good statement of purpose;
- Create an outline– Always plan your statement of purpose before indulging in the writing part. Have a clear idea of everything you are going to share in your SOP. Creating an outline of your statement of purpose will help you to juggle less with complicated things. Take a notepad and a pen, start creating pointers and categories, list down all the necessary things you must write. This will work indeed.
- Avoid Plagiarism– While writing your statement of purpose, you have to make sure that you use your own words. It may happen that a lot of you may not like to write things out. So, you end up copying the statement of purpose format from somewhere else and that leads to plagiarism which is strictly prohibited. Showing a plagiarized statement of purpose will reduce your chances of selection.
- Write it clear– Don’t try to mix up things or write a vague statement of purpose. Try to write it clear and straight to the point. Because the admission committee would already have thousands of SOPs and they will not spend time understanding what you want to say. Just follow all the instructions and make it clear.
- Focus on drafting– Drafting matters when you are writing an SOP. Focus on sharing the relevant things, use active voice, avoid using technical terms, address everything optimistically. Ensure that you have an explicit introduction and a clear conclusion.
- Make it Simple– Try not to style your statement of purpose and make it simple and easy to understand. In simple words, avoid the use of any color paper or font.
Always make a roadmap – Before you start drafting your SOP make sure to create a roadmap of what you need to include, what is relevant and what seems unimportant. Also take into consideration the rules and regulations of the institute and the country you are applying to study abroad.
How long a statement of purpose should be?
I know a lot of you are doubtful about the length of the statement of purpose. It is not something which is usually talked about, so I will tell you it’s importance and as well as how long it should be.
There are thousands of students like you who are applying to the same program as you, so it makes it competitive to get selected. This is why having the right length of the statement of purpose is important so that the committee can read it without any hurry.
The ideal length of SOP must be one page and if needed it can go to one and a half but try not to write more than that. Because then it will become hard for the committee to go through 2–3-page long SOP.
A precise statement of purpose will have more clarity and stand out the chance to win the hearts of the admission committee. Generally, most institutes follow the same maximum number of words for SOP that is between 500-1000. But you should always check for every institute rules and regulations before drafting an SOP.
What are the General Conditions required for a statement of purpose?
At this point, you probably get an idea of what your statement of purpose reflects. It not only reflects who you are as a person but your writing skills and qualifications also. It is the right way to show how competent your writing skills are because you are going to write a ton of things during your program.
Below are some general conditions required for a statement of purpose;
- The statement of purpose you are writing should not have any grammatical errors, typos, spelling, etc. because it will leave a pessimistic impression.
- Don’t repeat things. Avoid writing repetitive language because it will show that you don’t have anything else to say.
- Use more formal language over informal because it tends to leave a positive impression.
- Keep your tone of writing more optimistic, positive, and confident. The admission committee can sense your confidence through your writing itself.
Also, if you are confused about the statement of purpose format then please make it simple like any other piece of academic writing.
Tips and Tricks to write a unique Statement of Purpose
Now, after learning in detail about the statement of purpose, it’s time to know some tricks to write a unique statement of purpose. These tips and tricks will give everything to the admission committee which they are looking for.
Find the below tips to write a unique statement of purpose;
Compose stories, not statements
Noone likes to read straightforward statements because that doesn’t connect to people, but stories do. The people out there will already be reading those statements for long hours but reading those statements as the narrative will win their hearts.
Do you want to win their hearts? Then, write stories.
Don’t let your statement of purpose feel like a newspaper, try to give it a novel-like feel. But also remember to make it a one and half page long novel not 200 pages book. Otherwise, they will not even open it. Make sure to use your creative storyline with your subject and don’t make it out of a subject.
Add figures to your Story
Well like, I have said to write a story but remember not to make it a thesis. It should sound like the best source of information and not just a mere story. And information comes with facts and figures. This story should not only be qualitative but also quantitative where you share your experiences in numbers.
For example, if you have worked somewhere for a period, then try writing the exact number of months or years you have given.
It leaves a great impression on the reader when they can count your experiences. The figures add authenticity and authority to your statement of purpose.
Be very specific
Sometimes, while writing stories we forget the main point and ramble around other things. I would like you to not make this mistake while writing your statement of purpose and be very specific with what you want to say.
Don’t just write things for the sake of getting admission, instead dig deep, be introspective and tell exactly why you want to join the program. Narrate the skills you possess for that program and how you always wanted to join this program. Don’t talk like you are talking to your friends assume the person sitting there has years of experience and potential to judge each word. You can find a nice and formal way to say it, but just be specific and clear.
Do little customization
If you are new and have very compact knowledge about a statement of purpose, you will dig a basic template out there for the sake of writing. This will lead to plagiarism and the statement will not sound like you. Also, if you apply to more than one university don’t try to send the same statement of purpose to those universities. Although they are similar, still there are so many dissimilarities in both universities.
If you are applying to multiple universities, you need to dig deep into each of those universities and customize your statement accordingly. Mere changes like name and email will not help you. Customize each statement of purpose thoroughly.
Use a formal conversational tone
You don’t have to write either in a super friendly tone or super formal tone, you have to make a balance of both by using a formal conversational tone. Using a super friendly tone will make your statement of purpose a casual document. Just imagine talking to the principal or professor of your college, what tone you would use? Formal-cum-conversational right? So, try using that here too.
Avoid making your statement funny or humorous, after all, it is about your career. You can make them smile but not laugh. Because you must sound serious about your career and goals.
Portray yourself but portray indirectly
A very important yet difficult task is to convey your personality, attitude, and character to the admission committee through an SOP. For this, you have to learn the art of portraying yourself through your statement of purpose. It will help you tell the admission committee that you are a passionate, intelligent student, academically well-prepared, can take on the challenges, build and maintain goodwill, and a responsible and successful alumnus. These are the things that the admission committee looks for.
The important thing here is that you cannot write all these things directly with such less word count, you need to learn to say all this indirectly.
Your statement of purpose is your identity, it depicts the person you are. So, don’t try to be someone else. If you come from a normal background living a normal life, then don’t try to portray someone else’s fancy life as yours. Be yourself, tell who you are and who you want to become. If you don’t have any fancy things to tell, then don’t create one, just write about the normal things you have done. You can also share your hard phases where you felt like a failure and how you have overcome that phase. Just be honest.
Do your Research
In a statement of purpose, there will be some points asking you as to why you want to join that particular university. To answer this, you will need to do thorough research about the university you are applying to. Write down all the great things about that university. Use the specifics to describe what you like about that university. Such specifics will show the admission committee how eager you are to study there.
Proofread and Edit
Before sending the statement of purpose, make sure to proofread the whole document and edit the areas that need editing. The best way to be 100% sure of your final draft is to share it with your friends or someone you trust. They might give you some additional pointers that you may have missed. Well, it is also great to take a new and different perspective.
After adding or editing, you can finalize the draft and send it to the university.
A statement of purpose may sound like an essay but what goes behind that is something you need to take care of throughout the writing process. I hope this guide will tell you exactly what you need to know about the statement of purpose as a whole and help you draft the best SOP.
Keep in mind an SOP determines your entry in or out for your application to study abroad. So, the best way to get a unique SOP is also to hire professional services that can assist you for the same. You can get quality SOP within timeline and at an affordable price by hiring experts to write your SOP. So, connect now for a unique SOP drafted meticulously in your hand!