Content writing is an umbrella term used for representing various styles of writing. The sole purpose of content writing remains the same with its different forms i.e., to inform and entertain the reader. Creative content writing is one of the most widely used forms of content writing. Creative writing dates back to 3200 BC where this skill was used for writing stories in the Western Tradition. Some of the prominent examples from Western Tradition are The Bible and Homer’s Odyssey. The Indian Vedas and Sanskrit poems are a few great examples from the Eastern tradition whereas Mayan Codices is an example from Central America. These texts were merely transcriptions of oral tradition performed in order to preserve their teachings and culture for a long time.
In the current scenario, content writing especially creative content writing has gone through numerous changes and has developed along with technology. Creative content writing is a highly desired skill in this era of digital marketing. Unlike SEO content writing, creative content writing requires excellence in the domains of imagination and authenticity. A good creative piece will always have rivers of emotions flowing freely, catalyzed by the strong gust of winds in the form of ideas and thoughts. There are further various forms of creative content writing, such as poetry, short stories, songs, theatre scripts, fiction, and many more.
A creative content writer has the freedom to mold his content freely according to how he wants his piece to be. This means the writer can use varieties of poetic devices such as simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, symbolism, and special words for better expression of emotions. But, one should not leverage his or her skill in this field by focusing entirely on the freedom given by this writing platform. There are a set of difficulties one needs to consider before commencing to write a piece. One should keep the story flowing with maximum fluency and come up with out-of-the-box ideas.
Creative content writing can be either for purely entertainment purposes or to bring a strong message or ideal in front of society. Be it any one of these two purposes, the writers use their personalities to add the X-factor to their creative pieces. Many creative content writers use this skill to build a career in journalism, content writing, or as a novelist. A talented creative writer can find his or her way with SEO content writing too. The combination of creative skills along with strategic and factual writing creates a content piece above mediocrity.
Creative content writing is developed purely for enjoyment purposes for readers. According to a survey conducted by WordPress, around 409 million people and more open WordPress content per month. This has led to a rapid surge in creating posts per month for the readers. It is estimated that over 70 million new posts are being created per month.
How Is It Different?
People often consider content writing and creative content writing to be similar. But in hindsight, these two forms of content writing differ in many ways. Content writing services have the goal of promoting a specific product or service. It is framed and written in a highly professional manner and is purely used for attracting potential customers. Creative content writing serves the purpose of amusing a reader by using the originality and emotions of a writer. Content writing is one of the most extensively used commercial techniques that is a part of marketing whereas creative content writing belongs to the artistic sector. Blogs, magazines, newspapers, websites, novels, and handbooks are products of creative content writing. On the other hand, content writing is primarily used for Search Engine Optimization i.e., SEO. Let us know more about the differences between content writing and creative content writing in detail ahead-
- WRITING STYLE– Creative content is mostly framed in a floral and voluble manner such that the words can create a living picture in the reader’s mind. It should be as explanatory as possible as it will help in enhancing the reader’s imagination. On the other hand, content writing is supposed to be precise, factual, and professionally presented with statistics and other relevant data. Content writing does not produce content for a mere leisure reading. It is used for disseminating necessary information among the readers.
- SET THE TONE- As mentioned before, creative writers have the freedom of deciding the tone of their piece whereas content writing has to stick to a few parameters. A content writer should be able to portray confidence, neutrality, and affirmation. A creative writer can alter his tone from affirmation to contradiction according to the need of his content. The only requirement a creative write-up should meet is that it should be entertaining enough for the readers.
- TIME- Content writing runs on a short and stipulated period offered to the content writer. A creative content writer has a relatively long period assigned to them as a creative piece can take days and days just for ideating the concept.
- ENGAGEMENT- A creative writer focuses on increasing his or her blog or article followers. This drives the writer to produce more and more interesting and entertaining stories. A content writer will always try to sell something with the help of content by giving a professional front to the article. Hence, a content writer mostly looks for business and commercial engagement.
One should keep in mind that content writing should have a creative touch to attract the audience, but creative writing should not have any touch of content writing.
Why One Should Learn Creative Content Writing?
Whenever one starts learning a new skill, their brain becomes more active than before. Every skill teaches a spectrum of qualities to the learners. Creative writing is usually not seen as a skill that one would like to learn and pursue ahead, but the times are changing. Many people think pursuing their hobby and learning more about it is “cool” nowadays. The most fascinating thing about creative content writing is that no matter how much you learn about creative writing, there is always more to learn about it. Here are a few ways how learning creative content writing will help you-
- WELCOME TO ANOTHER WORLD! – Creative writing opens doors of the literary world for the ones who are seeking it. You can find yourself in an artistic and articulate world where words are priceless. This will create bursts of creativity within you and you will feel closer to your surroundings. You can use this opportunity to enhance your networking too. You will find it easier to mix up with like-minded people with whom you can discuss your interests in writing and eventually use it for boosting yourself.
- OPENS A PERSPECTIVE- People often look at the world with an ordinary perspective of earning money and attaining stability. Creative content writing opens another perspective for learners. This skill enables people to look at their surroundings closely and try to perceive them differently. Using this type of perspective is necessary to keep a person grounded. It also enhances creativity in numerous ways.
- EARN EXPERIENCE- Experience is the most valuable thing one can achieve from learning a skill. You can gain experience starting from writing level to editorial level to even creating an anthology. Each of these will teach you something new and ultimately give you a lesson on how to be even more professional. Writing will teach you how to adapt according to new topics and come up with something authentic every time. Editorial will teach you how to create the perfect publication piece and master advanced English. The anthology will teach you how to be more accepting of other artworks and how to combine them to make a great piece. Besides these, you will gain experience in editing, marketing, teamwork, analytical thinking, leadership, and in many various other fields.
- TAKE IT EASY- The best part about learning and pursuing creative content writing is that you will always receive constructive criticism. It will help you learn and progress in your field only if you learn not to take it personally. You will always find someone else’s work better than yours in some aspects. Take their constructive criticism in an affirmative way to move ahead.
- SELF-EXPRESSION- People who stay attached to creative means are found to express themselves freely without even realizing it. Creative content writing can help you in navigating through pessimistic views and thoughts. It helps you to channel those negative emotions into creating a great creative piece. You feel even freer when you artistically express yourself and your emotions as it gives you a boost.
- IMAGINATION BOOST– There is a common misconception that creative content writing is an easy task because it’s just about using imagination to create different scenarios. But in reality, it is a job not to be taken so easily. When you try to engage in creative writing, you push your brain to “think out of the box” for creating something new. This exercise helps you in finding alternatives to difficult situations and ultimately enhances your problem-solving skills and analytical thinking.
Career in Creative Content Writing
Creative content writing offers an ocean of career opportunities. You will not find any article on the internet that missed out on stating creative content writing as a successful career opportunity in the sector of content writing. The fact that creative writing is so widely diversified increases the demands for hiring a creative content writer. Creative content writers can kill birds with one stone and this ability increases their value in the job sector. A creative content writer is required to write every single day of a year in order to produce great results. One can explore freelancing as the opportunities have no end for this field. Another successful career prospect is being a published author. Writing a book is the pinnacle of content writing. A successful published author enjoys a luxurious career along with fame. There are six sub-branches of creative writing. These are-
- Journalistic articles– consists of writing or reporting about the news. They are mainly found in newspapers, magazines, and news-related websites. Journalistic writing has developed significantly from writing for daily newspapers to writing for various accomplished online news sites or magazines. A journalist writer earns approximately Rs 7 lakhs annually.
- Comics- With the rise in popularity of comic and manga-adapted movies, this career prospect has appeared to be in incredible demand. A comic writer develops the plot, setting, creates characters, and combines all the elements such as action, closure, and emotion to create an interestingly illustrated story. The average annual salary of a comic creator is approximately Rs 7 lakhs.
- Feature writing- is similar to journalistic writing in few ways. It is longer than a news story or an article. They are also featured in magazines, newspapers, and online on different sites. A feature is known for covering an agenda in greater depths as compared to a news story. The average annual salary starts from Rs 4.4 lakhs with experience of 2-3 years.
- Screenwriting- A successful screenwriter enjoys a successful career nowadays due to the high demand of the entertainment industry. A screenwriter earns in between the range of Rs. 4-5 lakhs.
To Sum It Up
Creative content writing can be a great career opportunity if one wants to utilize creativity and imagination for building a livelihood out of it. This field provides numerous opportunities and always benefits a writer by strengthening the bond with their surroundings for better perceiving abilities. Creative content writing may seem like a piece of cake but it definitely demands dedication and consistency from a writer for achieving glory.