If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others : read a lot and write a lotStephen King
As the American author aptly said reading and writing thoroughly is a habit formed by those who earnestly wish to become writers. When it comes to Freelance Writing, it’s the kind of life we all wish to live someday but are unsure of where and how exactly to begin. Nothing comes easy in life but if you’re determined and disciplined then you are most likely to own this path.
- Of course with tons of writing and juggling with words, you firstly need to research on the terms “freelance writer” and be adept with the whole thing. There are many people on the internet who put out their best and the worst experiences with freelancing which can help you in gaining some rough knowledge.
- Get the right equipment! Freelancing is not as easy as you think and it does require the right kind of iPad, laptop or computer to deliver impactful articles.
- There are a lot of skills that are required to be a successful and a growing freelance writer. Some of these skills include image editing, page layout and the basic technical skills and tools that you need when you are writing you first content writeup. These help you in projecting and presenting not only your write up but also yourself as a professional writer from the start.
- Being a freelance writer in India has a lot of opportunities through which you can start somewhere and earn a minimum of wage. Keep in mind that the beginning is all about gaining contacts and showcasing your work rather than focusing how much you are earning.
- If you want to be out there and succeed in your field as a writer, it is best to set up a WordPress or even keep posting on LinkedIn where people of mutual interest can see your work and therefore better opportunities will embark themselves be it a small project or a contract based opportunity. In a way, being social and socially active on such platforms are a win-win.
- Words are not the only things that you need to run around or oscillate between, but the deadlines that are handed over to you by clients can sometimes be really looming specially as you’re starting anew. India being a fast paced country needs time to time submissions and keeping up with your work and keeping the client in loop is what a writer should be mindful of.
- There is one more point that not many freelance writers, I for one, look into is keeping track of the payment, the advances, the remainders, invoices and so on. Best believe you learn as you grow and just know no one is perfect from the start you always make your way up there. You ought to learn as you grow and that’s where your surrounding as well plays a major role.
- Surround yourself with people who not only have the same interest as you but who also trust in you, motivate you and teach you. In freelancing there is always something that you look forward to and that is what make it different and exciting from the mainstream 9-5 jobs. Having a social group where your work is highly appreciated and also criticized in a positive manner. It is up to you as to how you take it and procure into you skill set.
- The best part about freelancing in India is that people here are polyglot giving people like us a chance to start from somewhere. Though the competition in the freelancing world might be extreme, there are just the right amount of opportunities for each one of us to shine.
- Writers get better by writing a lot. So instead of going for a full fledged author type job just stop and grab every opportunity that comes along the way and that’s how you earn. Earn by starting small and each of these small steps will make you polish your writing skills.
- But above all, find your genre and find what triggers your brain to deliver resourceful and sound quality. Therefore diving in and researching is a process that every potential writer goes through. This will highly reflect on the kind of work you deliver and will mainly divulge your content into much specific orientations.
- Earning shouldn’t be your priority right from the beginning because as a freelancer you might need to give out a few articles or write ups for free which will in fact be the most useful resource for you. It determines your skill set that you have is innate. It doesn’t matter what degree you have but you should be determined and never fail in proving you attain the right skills for a job as a freelance writer.
- Accumulate your creative work and create a portfolio to bring all your published work at one place. This is what helps you the most o keep track of your best works and also show your clients some samples.
- The process of selling your services, marketing yourself and dealing with clients is indeed quite overwhelming. If you are from the category of people who are unsure about getting into the field of freelance writing then you can opt for the option of a part-time freelance writer.
- The myth that people talk about or partly believe in is that freelance writers don’t get paid on time. Well, if it is a scam artist or a fake client then of course but if you know how to choose your clients and strictly keep them in loop then you’ve got the hold of it. Freelancers always get paid.Thus, choose wisely from the varied options you’re served with.
At the end, you just need to practice, practice and practice because words are powerful and playful and you can always create something unique to amplify your profession as a Freelance Writer.